Love in Organisations: putting love at the heart of your leadership.
A bold and imaginative programme exploring love in the context of your leadership.
As we go about the business of creating and encouraging change, what might happen if we put love at the heart of our practice? When many organisations have some pretty dehumanising management practices, how can we counter those? In leadership and in organisational development, we often ask ‘what’s the difference that could make the difference?’ Could love – whatever that might look like – be the difference? Personally – and as is clear from my research – I know that it can and does and I want to explore this more widely for organisations and leadership. These times we’re in feel especially right for this exploration.
And as one of my recent participants said: ‘if you are interested in challenging your own experience and ideas about love and are willing to invest in your own personal growth – and your growth as a leader – then this programme is for you. It’s a deeply rewarding, challenging, inspirational and soulful programme. It was great to be part of an emerging community of like minded leaders not afraid to talk about what is a deep human need and it was a great opportunity to create community and connection in our organisations‘.
Could love play a part in your leadership practice?
We often think of love as something deeply personal, something for outside of work, but love and being loving is relevant for our organisations now more than ever. My 2018 research (see right) showed that 94% of people felt love really mattered in the workplace. Additionally:
- Does it feel like these chaotic and shifting times are offering you an opportunity to bring something new to your leadership?
- Do you want to develop your team or your organisational culture to be a highly relational place of psychological safety and innovative practice?
- Might you be ready to extend and deepen your leadership practice by putting love at the heart of how you live and work?
- Are you curious to know what difference love might make to you personally as well as in your leadership?
If so, then you’re in the right place.
I’ve developed this programme to look closely at what we mean by love and offer some radical and provocative angles to make love a robust and useful dimension to leadership. We take a new look at the acts and qualities of leadership needed for these times we’re creating – and that are creating us. During the programme you’ll explore these and further questions with other leaders, and with me as your facilitator.
Who is the Leading from Love programme for?
The programme is for anyone who sees their role as being about leadership – whether in a formal role or not, in an organisation or elsewhere. You might be a senior leader in an organisation, or a first time team leader. You might have people report to you but know that you want your team to work differently. Perhaps you’re not in an organisation at all but developing a community-based movement, or someone leading a project, or a response to adapting the new and emerging world we now find ourselves.
There are three very common responses when I explore love and leadership with people in organisations. One is ‘I really get this, and I want to develop a workplace with more love in it’. And then this is often followed a second reaction of ‘but I don’t really know how to go about doing that’. And a third is that ‘love doesn’t belong in the workplace’.
This programme will address those three things directly. It will build on your interest and commitment to developing a more loving and progressive culture around you. It will also help you identify clearly what that means in practice. And it will also allow you to connect with love at a personal level.
What people have said
Previous cohort participants have included leaders from a global consulting firm, a housing association, the NHS and the Civil Service, an HR consultancy practice as well as coaches and independent consultants. They said:
- a deeply thought-provoking examination of what it means to be a leader and the mission to bring more love (and thus humanity) into the way we lead and organise our teams.
- I can honestly say that this programme has changed my life! Those few short hours have made me think about topics I have never considered – or never considered in relation to organisations before.
- a deeply rewarding, challenging, inspirational and soulful programme
- this is most thought provoking and action oriented course I have ever attended and I can see the impact in my organisation already after just a few short weeks
- Leading from Love is the single most profound self-learning experience I’ve ever been a part of.
This programme is made up of 6 x 2 hour online modules and together we will:
- Get to know your own personal social history through the lens of love to see what that has taught you about love, and how love shows up in your life and leadership today.
- Explore different ways of defining love – and demystifying it – to get to a meaningful definition for you to work with in your teams and organisational context.
- Understand what the conditions are that need to be present for love to arise – as well as what blocks love – in your own life and in your organisation or team.
- Bring this together in a vision and a practical plan for leading with love tailored to your unique way of being and leading.
Each week we will explore different themes, including:
The story of your leadership, through the lens of love. What has your personal social history taught you about love and what it is, and how does it show up for you today?
Why does love matter – and why does it matter now, in our organisations and for your teams? Do we need a business case for love and what might that be?
How love is problematic. In what ways is it tricky or problematic to bring love into the workplace? And why? What blocks or enables love in you, and in your organisation?
What do we mean by love? What does it mean for you personally, for the team you lead or are part of, and for your organisation?
How might we create the conditions for love in the workplace. What would a ‘field guide’ for love in organisations contain?
Each session will be a mix of input, paired and small group conversation, whole group discussion plus some experiential activity. And there will be heaps of relevant resources and additional material provided for each week of the programme.
Working with other leaders from different sectors and organisations, there will be;
- A rich and stimulating mix of perspectives almost certainly unlike your own.
- Learning from other leaders about what works and what doesn’t and where the ‘edges of love’ might be in their leadership and organisations.
- Support, challenge and inspiration from your peers.
- A sense of belonging to a tribe and a community of like-minded people.
- A chance to explore a rarely discussed topic.
- Private space, uninterrupted allocation of time for all sessions.
- Facility to use Zoom.
- Commitment to attend all sessions.
- Undertaking a short piece of preparation for each session.
- An open and curious heart.
- A degree of courage, because love is a tricky thing to explore in the context of organisations.
The next programme begins in March 2022 and the dates to hold are March 4, 11, 18, 15 and April 1 and 8, between 0830 and 1030 GMT.
We meet each week on a Friday for 6 weeks, on Zoom.
The price for the programme is: £900.00 plus VAT for organisational participants, and £600.00 plus VAT for those self funding or from the not-for-profit sector.
Additionally, if you are a corporate participant paying the full price, you can apply for a second place at a very reduced fee for a leader you support who would not otherwise have the funds.
The programme can also be run as an in-house organisational programme, which I’m currently doing for an NHS Trust. Please contact me if you’d like to explore a tailored option for your organisation.
How to book onto the programme
Email using email@example.com to express your interest or call me on 07771 358881 and I’d be happy to chat.